Movieville | News
- Regular Updates
- Movieville turns 3! - 3/26/99
- New Star Wars trailer - 3/12/99
- Movie prices hit $9.50 in New York
- Trailers get quieter
- Sherman Oaks Galleria closing; will grow an 8-plex
- New Mann Plaza site
- Older News
- Most Fridays I list my "picks of the week" on the directory page.
- Max takes care of When Reviews Attack! on his own, so sometimes he's got reviews newer than my listed update date. Drop by his site and check!
Movieville turns 3! - 3/26/99
On the 23rd of March in 1996 I started up a little list of special screenings and stuck it in my fairly new home directory on one little page. I posted to a bunch of newsgroups, and people seemed to like the idea. I did a list again in May and three years later, here we are.
I'm proud of Movieville - I think it's a unique resource on the web and while I can't spend as much time on it as I'd like, traffic is still slowly increasing with basically no advertising or other promotion. (And note there are still no ads at Movieville to influence things.)
I'm looking to expand Movieville some, but I'd like to hear from you in what direction you think Movieville should grow - more about theaters, more about movies, or what. Yes, I've been terrible about answering feedback mail in the past, but I'm about caught up on the 1500 or so emails from other sites and just my life in general that backed up while I spent most of 1998 dealing with the universe's plans for me and my father. All of the piled up feedback is next - so keep it coming!
I've got a number of new multiplexes to add, a single screen theater to delete, and a new showtimes resource to tell you about -- but they will have to wait for Monday and a rare mid-week update.
Thanks for dropping by, tell your friends, and I love to get email telling me to continue!
[ back to top ]
New Star Wars trailer - 3/12/99
A new Star Wars: The Phantom Menace trailer was released to theaters today. It's two and a half minutes long, and appears to share zero footage with the original teaser trailer. The trailer shipped with prints of "Wing Commander" but that does not mean it will absolutely be playing with that film. Please email if you spot the trailer elsewhere, to help others catch it.
- The trailer should be with Wing Commander at the Regent in Westwood.
- The trailer should be with Payback at the Village in Westwood. Please note that the Village is closed Friday (3/12/99) for the "Forces of Nature" premiere - if you want to catch the trailer here you must wait until Saturday.
- The trailer should be on the Plaza Westwood late show (which this week is "Planet of the Apes").
[ back to top ]
Movie prices hit $9.50 in New York
An AP story at CNN reports that ticket prices at some Manhattan theaters have hit $9.50. The highest price I know of in LA is at the Beverly Center and Beverly Connection, which are now $8.25. I guess this isn't terribly useful news, but at least you can feel better knowing we're not THERE yet.
By the way, I haven't updated the movie prices on the theater review pages in a couple of years. Does anyone actually care? If so, I'll do it.
[ back to top ]
Trailers get quieter
- Another CNN.com story - this one about the volume of trailers finally getting turned down.
Sherman Oaks Galleria closing; will grow an 8-plex
- As previously reported, the Sherman Oaks Galleria is closing April 1st, for those with fond memories of either growing up going there or feeling like you did by watching "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" 500 times. (I'm not in either category myself, although it was a great place to visit a quiet Ticketmaster.) Here's a link to a good story at CNN.com; it mentions the fourplex that's there will become an eightplex when the mall reopens in two years.
New Mann Plaza site
- As mentioned very briefly last week, the Mann Plaza has a new web address and revamped site for its Late Show program. It's worth a visit and the calendar through June has been posted.
All links to the old address (except on the completely screwed up and soon to be reworked outside links page) have been updated.
Click for older news.