Movieville | News
- Regular Updates
- Digital projection is here 25 June 99
- 1999 Last Remaining Seats 28 May 99
- Silent Movie to reopen 28 May 99
- Most Fridays I list my "picks of the week" on the directory page.
- Max takes care of When Reviews Attack! on his own, so sometimes he's got reviews newer than my listed update date. Drop by his site and check!
Digital projection is here
- Digital projection is here, at least in a limited test sort of form. "Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace" is playing at the AMC Burbank 14 and the Pacific Winnetka 20 (on one screen each) projected digitally.
Blake Middleton sent a long description and opinion of the two systems.
Byte.com has a three-part article looking at one of the systems, this time at one of the NYC metro-area screens.
I've heard rumors that "An Ideal Husband" at the Sunset 5 is also being shown this way. Anyone know for sure? I'll check over the weekend myself.
1999 Last Remaining Seats
- The Los Angeles Conservancy's Last Remaining Seats schedule is out for this year; six Wednesdays of classics in the downtown movie palaces, starting this Wednesday. Tickets are going quick, so hurry over to their web page for details on how to get tickets.
Silent Movie to reopen
- Silent Movie has been purchased by an individual from Santa Monica, and published reports indicate he plans to reopen the theater in July. While the new owner was probably not able to get the film libary Austin owned (it was auctioned last Sunday) many silent prints are available for rent, and the new owner plans to also have more vaudeville and other entertainment true to the silent era.
I'll see if I can track this guy down and do Movieville's first news interview.
Click for older news.